These businesses allow you to deposit bitcoin as collateral, and receive a US dollar loan. Why would you want to do that? If you need dollars, but don't want to sell your bitcoin.
How it works — These organizations typically require you to deposit bitcoin twice the value of the loan you need, and if the bitcoin price drops during the term of the loan, they'll ask you to deposit more, bringing the "loan-to-value" ratio back to 50%. If you can't deposit more, they'll sell your bitcoin collateral, in order to repay your debt obligation.
Crypto.com (Global) — Crypto.com, for iOS and Android, allows its customers to buy and sell bitcoin using bank transfer and credit card, earn interest on deposited bitcoin, spend bitcoin via a debit card anywhere Visa is accepted, and use bitcoin as collateral for a US dollar loan. If you use my referral code gpd9q473d2 you'll receive $50 on your first transaction.
BlockFi (Global) — BlockFi allows its customers to buy and sell bitcoin via bank transfer, earn interest on bitcoin deposits, and use bitcoin as collateral for a US dollar loan.
Nexo (Global) — Nexo allows its customers to earn interest on deposited bitcoin, and use bitcoin as collateral for a US dollar loan.
Unchained Capital (Global) — Was the first company to offer its customers US dollar loans using bitcoin as collateral. What's unique about Unchained Capital, is that they guarantee not to use your bitcoin collateral for any other business need, thereby reducing your exposure to risks.
Got a suggestion to add? Just let me know.
- 1Learn more about BitcoinEducational resources to get you beyond the basics.
- 2Buying, selling & walletsOptions for buying, selling and holding bitcoin.
- 3Earning interest with bitcoinBusinesses who pay interest on deposited bitcoin, just like a traditional savings account.
- 4Get a loan with BitcoinBusinesses who allow you to get US dollar loans, using bitcoin as collateral.
- 5Bitcoin debit & credit cardsBusinesses who allow you to spend your bitcoin anywhere Visa or Mastercard is accepted, using a debit or credit card.
- 6Bitcoin exchangesA list of marketplaces where bitcoin is bought and sold by traders.