Today, there are many great options for buying and selling bitcoin, conveniently with a bank transfer or your credit card. With simplicity in mind, we list a few convenient options on our resources page.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
You don’t have to buy an entire bitcoin! Don’t get thrown off by the price. If you want to buy $100 of bitcoin, that’s perfectly possible!
Most businesses that allow you to buy and sell bitcoin, also provide a wallet service, allowing you to store, send and receive bitcoin. Some will even pay you interest on your bitcoin, just like a savings account!
When you store your bitcoin with someone else, you're entrusting them with the security of your bitcoin. Always remember that you have the option of controlling some or all of your bitcoin yourself, by installing your own wallet software on your phone or computer.
Remember that bitcoin can be sent as easily as email. So if you bought bitcoin at one place, you could send it to your mobile phone wallet for storage, and later to another place for selling. There's a world of flexibility, and it's completely within your control.
Most companies who sell bitcoin, also sell hundreds of other cryptocurrencies as well, including some with confusing names like "Bitcoin Cash"! Many people ignore all these other cryptocurrencies, and hold only the original, Bitcoin.
You might hear people talking about "Bitcoin Exchanges", like Binance or Kraken. These are marketplaces where trading happens, similar to how stocks are traded in brokerage accounts. For someone who wants to just buy and hold Bitcoin, the simpler options are probably preferable.
Once you own some bitcoin, let's look at what you can do with it. →
- 1What is Bitcoin?Bitcoin is the internet’s native form of money.
- 2How does Bitcoin work?This is where things get a little tricky, but it’s actually simpler than it seems at first.
- 3What’s special about Bitcoin?Bitcoin has a number of characteristics that make it unique!
- 4What is a bitcoin worth?Just like all assets, Bitcoin is worth whatever the market decides it’s worth.
- 5Should I own some bitcoin?That’s up to you, but here is how some of the world’s most successful people answer that question.
- 6How do I get some bitcoin?You can buy bitcoin with a bank transfer, debit or credit card.
- 7What can I do with my bitcoin?An overview of holding, spending and earning money with your bitcoin.
- 8Frequently Asked QuestionsNow that you know the basics, let’s answer some of the most frequently asked questions.